Solarwinds Inc. Graduate Apprenticeship - Software Development in Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Who we are
SolarWinds MSP is the leading global provider of complete IT management and Automation solutions for Managed Service Providers (MSPs). Our award-winning product suite includes the industry’s #1 RMM Service Automation Platform and has a proven track record of helping MSPs standardise and automate the setup and delivery of IT services to achieve true scalability. We are passionate that the MSPs who use our products everyday should be excited about them. That's why we put our users first in everything we do and strive to deliver powerful functionality while making their jobs easier.
At SolarWinds we are always striving to move forward! Our Engineering teams are encouraged to always take a proactive approach to technical innovation. They are given relative autonomy to select the best technology and toolset to solve the problem at hand. We host most of our applications within Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud infrastructure, and we are increasingly utilising Docker containers and Kubernetes for the deployment of our infrastructure. Engineers are always given ample opportunities to research new technologies and the benefit they can bring to our fast-paced, but exciting environment. Currently, we have a growing list of microservices written in Java, C# and golang, utilising Event driven architecture, supported by Kafka.
Due to this approach, we do have a wide-ranging technical stack, giving Engineers an excellent opportunity to learn new skills. We have many different software components and stacks to support our products, including our original LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) stack and our ever-growing AngularJS UI. We recognise and reward hard work and performance, offering a number of different benefits and opportunities for career progression. This includes a company bonus scheme, matched pension contribution, health insurance and life assurance. Your salary will also increase year on year as you progress through your Apprenticeship.
What might a typical day in this job look like?
As a Graduate Apprentice based in our Edinburgh office, from your first day you will be an active engineering team member working as part of a cross-functional development team using the latest tools and agile techniques to solve complex problems at scale. You'll be involved in developing, delivering and supporting features from start to finish within a team of experienced software engineers and be well supported from each and every employee within the company as you grow into your new career. Your role will be varied, and our apprenticeships offer a great opportunity for candidates looking to build a successful and rewarding career in software development.
What will I learn?
You will study on a 4-year degree programme towards a BSc (Hons) Software Development at Edinburgh Napier University. Initially you will complete 1 day per week at University and 4 days per week of workplace learning. What you do in work will also count towards your degree, where you will gain vital industry experience in the following areas:
• Software – Agile development environment, high-level language coding skills, web UI development, quality and software testing, software development lifecycle, developing innovative software solutions
• Business – Including business communications and working with different stakeholders throughout the company
• Interpersonal skills – Interacting with colleagues, offering recommendations for technical decision making, preparing reports for management
• Project management – Dealing with multiple tasks and projects
What qualification or qualities are required?
• BBBC at Higher level including two science or engineering subjects (computing science is recommended) or equivalent unless you can show strong technical (programming/development) ability through work experience or extra-curricular activities
• A Foundation Apprenticeship in a related discipline plus suitable academic qualification similar to the above
• A Modern Apprenticeship in a related discipline two science or engineering subjects at Higher level (computing science is recommended)
The below qualities are also required:
• Basic knowledge and interest of programming and/or web development
• Showing creativity and interest in coming up with new ideas and solutions
• A passion for learning and keeping up to date with the latest technology and design concepts
Closing date for applications is Friday 24th April 2020.
SolarWinds is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. SolarWinds will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job ID 2020-14938
# Positions 1
Category (Candidate Search) Engineering
Position Type Regular
Business Group MSP